Fjord is a design and innovation consultancy, acquired by Accenture Interactive in 2013. We create useful, effective, and desirable digital services that people love. We help the world’s leading businesses make complex systems simple and elegant with the power of design. Founded in 2001, Fjord employs a diverse group of over 800 design experts in twenty two global creative hubs.
Our work environment appeals to self-motivated, flexible team players that have great interpersonal skills and lots of curiosity. We believe in peer relationships rather than hierarchies; in teams rather than lone thinkers. Fjord is all about an open collaborative approach and we think it is the key enabler for us to deliver innovative, ground-breaking work.
Business Design Lead @ Fjord
The Business Design Lead makes sure Fjord’s design work is framed by the business goals and objectives. A Business Design Lead will be responsible for defining the business goals, aligning those goals with the deliverables and providing measurement performance metrics. This role will also act as a face of Fjord with the client and will provide overall strategic direction for the project team.
As a Business Design Lead, you’ll work collaboratively with other disciplines (Interaction Design, Visual Design, Program Management) and with our clients to create innovative digital services and experiences grounded in a business context. You should have an in-depth knowledge and experience in defining business opportunities and drivers for digital services and in developing compelling service design strategies based on this.
The Business Design Lead will support strategy focused project streams, business development efforts, and help focus the work of the design team from a business perspective. They will interpret client and consumer needs, effectively communicate and present service strategies, and possess a strong commercial awareness. They are always looking for opportunities to review, iterate, and refine the definition of business design and how to make it more valuable to Fjord’s clients.
We expect successful Business Design Leads to have 8+ years relevant industry experience, preferably in business design or design strategy. S/he must feel comfortable leading projects and regularly interfacing with C-Suite Executives. MBA is preferred. The candidate must thrive working in a collaborative team environment.
Project delivery: 80%
- Business analysis and opportunity modelling through
- Stakeholder interviews
- Industry and trends research
- Competitor analysis and benchmarking
- KPI definition
- Customer Experience Touchpoint high level design
- Roadmap creation based on user and business needs
- Ability to oversee work of project members and provide incisive assistance and guidance
- Ability to delegate and prioritize based on (changing) needs
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time
- Oversee or own the definition of the service vision and proposition
- Oversee or co-lead to the creation of service roadmaps
- Ensure alignment with the defined business goals throughout the design process
- Take responsibility for the quality of business design and successful delivery of work in this area across various projects
- Oversee or lead business design tracks independently or in conjunction with the Service/Design Lead
- Oversee or lead definition of a highly differentiated service or product concept
- Definition of the associated business case, or enhancement of the existing client business case. This will include a focus on establishing primary success targets and linked measures
New business: 20%
- Provide business consulting on pitches, workshops and other new business projects as required, thus ensuring a strategic approach
- Ensure strategic value and integrity of project proposals
- Own the storyline and content creation for strategy-focused pitch and new business presentations
- Lead and manage strategy heavy pitch projects
- Work closely with, and be available to, the respective business development teams in pursuing new business leads and converting client briefs into booked projects
- Support the business development team with strategic input, client meetings, presentations and proposal writing
Required Background and Skills:
- Minimum of 8 years relevant industry experience preferably in business design or design strategy
- Experienced in change management, operational improvement and metrics consulting as well as industry knowledge in areas relevant for Fjord
- Strong digital experience a must
- Deep understanding of design including user-centered approaches
- MBA preferred
- Participation in business development from lead generation through proposal writing and proposal delivery
- Prior experience on projects that balance user needs, commercial interests and technological constraints desired
- Analytical and creative
- Able to clearly present strategies
- Able to multi-task and perform well under pressure
- Careful attention to detail
- Able to work independently and identify and solve problems effectively and efficiently
- Able to function, adapt and succeed in a constantly changing environment
- Proactive, self-sufficient and professional, with strong organizational, time management and communication skills
- Passionate and enthusiastic about excellence
- Proficient in relevant software packages
- Able to demonstrate excellent verbal and written English
- Able to demonstrate initiative
- Willingness to travel up to 25%
- Be a storyteller – A critical element of all our roles is to deliver insights about people and behavior – verbally and visually – in a way that generates empathy, emotion, and engagement from the client and design team.
- A natural skill to engage with people at a deep level. Whether observing or interviewing customers, or working with fellow team members and clients, a business designer should be passionate about representing the human perspective in design and should have skills in bringing this passion to life for the team.
How to apply
Please send your CV via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the position title you are applying for in the subject line. Also, in the body of your email please be sure to include your name, email address, contact phone number and attach your CV and cover letter.