Fjord is a design and innovation consultancy. We create useful, effective, and desirable digital services that people love. We help the world’s leading businesses make complex systems simple and elegant with the power of design. Founded in 2001, Fjord employs a diverse group of over 900 design experts in twenty five global creative hubs.
The Design Research practice at Fjord ensures that everything we deliver is grounded in a deep and contextual understanding of what matters to the people we are designing for.
We are growing the Design Research team in our London studio and looking for a passionate and experienced Design Research Lead to help shape the future of the practice at Fjord and be a champion and evangelist for human insight across the studio.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work within multidisciplinary teams to design and deliver research projects, and to mentor, train and empower colleagues to do the same, helping raise standards across the studio.
Key responsibilities include:
- Own client relationships from a design research standpoint and build the value and impact of design research.
- Advance design research as a discipline and a practice through a highly collaborative and inclusive style. Provide clients and teams with an expert view of design research.
- Find opportunities for account growth via design research and work with colleagues on new opportunities.
- Line manage more junior members of the design research team and take responsibility for training and craft development across the studio.
- Have expertise and mentor others in a range of design research approaches such as ethnographic research, discussion group moderation and mobile journaling, etc.
- Help to evolve the design research practice, pulling in state of the art methods from external and internal expertise.
- Liaise with Design Research leadership throughout Fjord to establish best practices, evolve processes and cultivate community.
- Create materials and thought leadership that define design research as a discipline and a practice within the studio.
- Represent Fjord within the wider research community, for instance by publishing articles on behalf of Fjord and presenting at conferences as a Fjord discipline leader.
Your likely skillset and experience will include:
- Designing and managing research projects from identifying users needs all the way through to ensuring human insight shapes the design and delivery of products and services. Ideally whilst working with agile methods.
- Managerial experience running teams, mentoring, line-management and establishing senior client relationships.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills with a history of tackling and solving complex design research challenges
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with colleagues, clients and partners
- Experience conceptualizing and managing design research initiatives from start to finish with a proven history of delivering results on time and within budget
- Experience leading and growing teams of researchers.
- Comfort with ambiguity yet unstoppable drive to create order out of chaos
- Understanding of service design and digital product design
- Passion for evolving design research methods; flexible in approaches to see opportunities for design research where others might see constraints
We are a family of Fjordians. Our living culture and borderless playground provide us with space to flourish. Thanks to a unique partnership with Accenture, we’re able to do work that changes the world.
Fjordians have simple core values. Solve collaboratively. Be curious. Use feedback. Assume 100% responsibility. Focus on desired outcomes. Fail forward. Contribute proactively. These values inform everything we do, and we’re always looking for kindred spirits.
How to apply
Please send your CV, Portfolio and Coverletter via email to email@example.com
Include the position title you are applying for in the subject line. Also, in the body of your email please be sure to include your name, email address and contact phone number