Design Research Manager
At Fjord, the human is always at the center of everything we do. The Design Research practice at Fjord ensures that everything we deliver is grounded in a deep and contextual understanding of what matters to the people we are designing for.
The Design Research Manager owns Design Research as a discipline and a practice at the studio level, and is responsible for the Design Research team across all studio accounts. On projects, the Design Research Manager supports and provides oversight on all aspects of executing and analyzing primary research.
This is your opportunity to be part of a team that is creating positive impact for our clients and the world through a powerful empathetic lens of the people we serve.
As a team, we:
- Develop ways to conduct effective primary research.
- Represent Design Research on our teams and in our studios.
- Define the insights and frameworks that keep the human at the center of our design solutions.
As a Design Research Manager, you:
- Ensure the work is grounded in a deep and contextual understanding of what matters to the people we are designing for.
- Advance Design Research as a discipline and a practice through a highly collaborative and inclusive style.
- Assume responsibility for the overall quality of the Design Research team’s work across the studio.
- Accurately assess performance of self and subordinates.
- Actively collaborate with teammates on research activities.
- Own client relationships from a design research standpoint. Provide clients and teams with an expert view of Design Research.
- Attend, help plan, and network at studio and community events, workshops, and conferences as a Fjord ambassador.
Working together, we will:
- Have specific opportunities to use our craft to make a difference in people’s lives.
- Engage in ongoing activities that enable us to learn, practice, and evolve our discipline.
- Collaborate on products and services that change the way our clients do business.
Set yourself apart:
- Experience conceptualizing and managing design research initiatives from start to finish.
- Proven history of delivering results on time and within budget.
- Working knowledge of all aspects of design research: recruiting processes; scheduling and logistics; protocol development; interviewing and moderating; analysis and framework development; video compilations; research deliverables.
- Ability to learn new software quickly; experience with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and video editing software.
- Familiarity with online research tools is a plus.
- 7 years of relevant experience in a Design and/or innovation context; 2-3 years of leadership experience; 4+ years of design research managerial experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Design Research; a master’s degree or PhD is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience leading multiple cross-discipline teams.
We are a family of Fjordians. Our living culture and borderless playground provide us with space to thrive, following simple core values that inform everything we do. Be adventurous. Bring a vision. Make an impact. Rely on empathy. Nurture collaboration. Stay transparent. Be bold and generous in all you do.
Thanks to a unique partnership with Accenture, we’re able to do work that changes the world, and we’re always looking for kindred spirits.
We believe there is nothing more important than creating products and services that will positively impact the world we live. Keeping the human at the center of our design ensures that impact. Be part of a team that is curious, driven by empathy, and relentless in our pursuit of meaningful and impactful design.
Please note: In proceeding you will be redirected to the careers site of Accenture in order to complete your application. Accenture has extended its digital offerings to encompass Fjord’s service design expertise. The opportunities this offers in terms of project scope and career development simply makes for an even more exciting and rewarding place to work!