Fjord is a design and innovation consultancy. We create useful, effective, and desirable digital services that people love. We help the world’s leading businesses make complex systems simple and elegant with the power of design. Founded in 2001, Fjord employs a diverse group of over 800 design experts in twenty-four studios around the world.
Our work environment appeals to self-motivated, flexible team players that have great interpersonal skills and lots of curiosity. We believe in peer relationships rather than hierarchies; in teams rather than lone thinkers. Fjord is all about an open collaborative approach and we think it is the key enabler for us to deliver innovative, ground-breaking work
Data Design strives to create dynamic and engaging data experiences for humans and machines that enables substantive action and meaningful change. We leverage a combination of user-centred thinking and data-driven methods to create cross-disciplinary solutions spanning every industry. Data Designers help define the vision of the project alongside the other creative disciplines. At Fjord, we break down the walls between design and engineering to synthesize data solutions that improve the human experience.
What responsibilities will you have?
- Advance Data Design as a design practice within the London studio
- Lead Data Design activities including client workshops, stakeholder interviews, data gathering, creative brainstorms, visioning and KPI development. Manage Data Design relationships with partners and clients
- Assume responsibility for the overall Data Design POV and guide others in the process of research and synthesis.
- Continuously search for opportunities of self-improvement by staying up-to-date with cutting-edge design and data analysis trends.
- Lead the measurement of client work to drive strategy and prioritize with account leads to ensure a long-range view.
- Own client and partner relationships, demonstrating empathy and helping educate them about data and design.
- Assume responsibility for the quality and profitability of the Data Design team
- Help build the business through cultivating key client relationships and selling in Data Design related work.
- Manage studio and community events as well as contributing to the content.
- Participate in the external and internal design and data communities as a Fjordian
What skills & experience are we looking for?
- Significant technology, design or development experience; plus knowledge of big data, analytics and data visualization
- Prior Leadership or managerial experience
- Firm understanding of image perception and visualization design principles
- History of tackling and solving complex business challenges – a strong personal mission to help find truths and challenge orthodoxies
- Ability to communicate effectively and connect with colleagues, clients and partners
- Excellent leadership skills, problem solving abilities, and good judgment
- Experience with uncertainty, an ability to transform open-ended project objectives into tangible and actionable results
- Proven history of delivering team results on time and within budget
- Insatiable curiosity leading to rapid pattern-spotting and ability to connect to provide fresh perspectives
- Strong strategic, analytical and problem-solving skills that balance with creative design approaches
- Nascent mastery of the Data Design landscape, including but not limited to data intelligence, instrumentation, organizational integration, data storytelling, design thinking, culture change, coaching, data valuation, and product management
- Prior experience using agile methodology
- Firm understanding of service design and digital product creation
- Experience with the following tools (or similar): Git, AWS, GCP, SQL
- Familiar with distributed data storage technologies (or similar): Spark, Hadoop, Postgres, and Cassandra
- Basic understanding of statistics (e.g., hypothesis testing, regressions)
We are a family of Fjordians. Our living culture and borderless playground provide us with space to thrive, following simple core values that inform everything we do. Be adventurous. Bring a vision. Make an impact. Rely on empathy. Nurture collaboration. Stay transparent. Be bold and generous in all you do.
We believe that design can solve complex problems by focusing on solutions and big ideas. At Fjord, this work is the cornerstone and the catalyst for products and services that change the world. We’re inspired every day to bring meaningful experiences into the world, and we’re looking for people who want to collaborate and do their best work with us. If this sounds like a place you want to be, consider this your invitation to join us.
How to apply
Please send your CV, Portfolio and Coverletter via email to email@example.com
Include the position title you are applying for in the subject line. Also, in the body of your email please be sure to include your name, email address and contact phone number