Fjord is a design and innovation consultancy. We create useful, effective, and desirable digital services that people love. We help the world’s leading businesses make complex systems simple and elegant with the power of design. Founded in 2001, Fjord employs a diverse group of over 800 design experts in twenty-four studios around the world.
Our work environment appeals to self-motivated, flexible team players that have great interpersonal skills and lots of curiosity. We believe in peer relationships rather than hierarchies; in teams rather than lone thinkers. Fjord is all about an open collaborative approach and we think it is the key enabler for us to deliver innovative, ground-breaking work
At Fjord, visual design is the heartbeat of our design practice. Our designers identify user needs, interpret client challenges, and develop concepts that unify our products and services. Visual designers work collaboratively with UX and Content Design teams, absorbing the project’s needs, creating concepts, and evolving the client’s brand in an engaging way. As Head of Visual Design, you’ll be responsible for supporting conceptual development, overall direction, and delivery of visual design artifacts. You’ll have a strong understanding of interaction design, the ability to elegantly adapt designs across devices, and an effortless presentation style that owns and sells pitches. Mentorship is a crucial aspect of the role, you will be accountable for a large team of visual designers, building their skills and shaping their careers.
What responsibilities will you have?
- Own craft and capability output across key projects, ensuring each project deliverable is of the highest quality.
- Drive design quality across multiple projects: guide the direction and push quality of the work, supporting the design lead with stakeholder and team management as needed.
- Explain, discuss, and justify design decisions effectively. Give effective feedback and direction to other team members.
- Consult with and advise senior clients to help frame the challenge at hand, encourage broad thinking and establish orientation towards quality of experience.
- Collaborate with Group Design Director to drive, and sometimes lead, Fjord design initiatives (offerings, capabilities) within the studio.
- Manage the studio’s design team across key accounts. Provide individual and team-level coaching and feedback, maintain motivation and morale.
- Articulate, rationalize, and sell in design for clients, balancing user needs, commercial interests, and technological constraints.
- Initiate, oversee and participate in internal initiatives.
- Attend and help plan studio and community events, workshops, and conferences as a Fjord ambassador.
- Publish articles on behalf of Fjord.
- Present new thinking and insights at conferences as a Fjord thought leader.
What skills & experience are we looking for?
- Significant relevant industry experience; demonstrated experience leading multiple cross-discipline teams
- High dexterity in speed and quality with the tools of your trade
- Extensive knowledge and experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes while working collaboratively with customers, along with cross-functional teams including engineering, product management, and user research
- Knowledge of and curiosity about technology and its impact on design solutions
- Proven history managing cross-functional teams to create a powerful, effective and coherent design solution
- Excellent leadership skills, problem resolution abilities, and good judgment
We are a family of Fjordians. Our living culture and borderless playground provide us with space to thrive, following simple core values that inform everything we do. Be adventurous. Bring a vision. Make an impact. Rely on empathy. Nurture collaboration. Stay transparent. Be bold and generous in all you do.
We believe that design can solve complex problems by focusing on solutions and big ideas. At Fjord, this work is the cornerstone and the catalyst for products and services that change the world. We’re inspired every day to bring meaningful experiences into the world, and we’re looking for people who want to collaborate and do their best work with us. If this sounds like a place you want to be, consider this your invitation to join us.
How to apply
Please send your CV, Portfolio and Coverletter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Include the position title you are applying for in the subject line. Also, in the body of your email please be sure to include your name, email address and contact phone number