Fjord is a service design consultancy, acquired by Accenture Interactive in 2013. We design creative, effective, and desirable digital solutions that help people around the world. We work with the world’s leading businesses to make complex systems simple and elegant with the power of creative design. Founded in 2001, Fjord employs a diverse group of over 200 design experts in 11 global creative hubs including Berlin, Helsinki, Istanbul, London, Madrid, Milan, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Stockholm and Sydney.
To learn more, please visit www.fjordnet.com.
Service & Interaction Designer @ Fjord
Service & Interaction Designer are responsible for creating systems and frameworks to organize information and help users understand how an application will work. To achieve this designers will need to be able to come up with creative solutions to problems that evaluate and assess the user, business, and technical goals and needs. They must be able to clearly communicate their solutions, usually in the form of models, wireframes, documentation, or prototypes.
Service & Interaction Designer are expected to consider the project from a high level and how the recommended solution fits into an overall service design objective, but they must also consider the fine details of user interaction components, labels, and flows to help users achieve their goals. Interaction designers should be comfortable understanding and communicating complex services and designing for a variety of platforms like mobile, web, and TV.
We expect the successful Service & Interaction Design Candidates to have 5-7 years experience of delivering interface design solutions for various clients. The candidate must thrive working in a collaborative team environment.
This position reports to the Italy Design Director with support from the office Interaction Design Leads.
- Apply conceptual thinking to create world-class digital services across multiple platforms, smartly bringing together user needs, business goals and technical realities
- Develop sound UX concepts, including the definition of customer needs, task analysis, and the creation of personas, storyboards, scenarios, user flows and use cases.
- Translate concepts into designs that illustrate simplicity despite system complexity
- Create instant tangibility for the Fjord team and the client through storytelling and rapid prototyping methods, ranging from paper sketching to digital prototyping
- Define the User Interface Design through information architecture, wireframes and user flows and validate it through usability testing
- Create light weighed specifications and style guides to supplement prototypes for our implementation partners
- Work directly with customers and prospects to design end-to-end experiences using participatory and iterative design techniques including observational studies customer interviews, usability testing, and other forms of qualitative and quantitative research to uncover insights, learn about user behavior and verify design concepts
- Effectively communicate research findings, conceptual ideas, detailed design, and design rationale both verbally and visually
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that design specifications are implemented
- Participate as a contributor to an interdisciplinary team that includes other designers, project management, business and brand strategists, and hardware and software developers
- Collaborate effectively with remote team members, including designers, researchers engineering, product management, marketing and others
Required Background and Skills:
- 5+ years in-depth knowledge and experience of user interface design with consumer applications, preferably mobile devices, rich web apps/site, interactive TV within the media, telecommunications, and broadband industries.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes while working collaboratively with customers, along with cross-functional teams including engineering, product management, and user research
- Working knowledge of design and prototyping tools, such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flex, Visio.
- Proficient in a variety of methods to convey ideas and concepts (e.g. storyboards, wireframes, prototypes, etc)
- Be a storyteller – A critical element of all our roles is to deliver insights about people and behavior – verbally and visually – in a way that generates empathy, emotion, and engagement from the client and design team.
- Have a strategic perspective on the variety of work that we do. Many of our projects involve strategic thinking based upon the insights gathered from the field. Thus, business, brand, and/or strategic experience are desirable.
- Have a natural skill to engage with people at a deep level. Whether observing or interviewing customers, or working with fellow team members and clients, a service designer should be passionate about representing the human perspective in design and should have skills in bringing this passion to life for the team.
- Creative problem-solver with the ability to work with a blank slate and inspire others
- Knowledge of web-based technologies and their impact on the feasibility of design solutions, including the capabilities and limitations of Web technologies Flex, Ajax, Flash, DHTML, CSS, scripting, and various other technologies a plus
- Strong knowledge of design process and project management
- Ability to cope with stress
- Strong influencing, negotiation and communication skills (written, verbal, presentation)
- Must be organised, analytical, and dynamic
- Bachelor degree in a design-related discipline
- A passion for design and people
- Strong online portfolio available for viewing
- Works collaboratively and curiously.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for their work.
- Responds professionally to feedback and is able to admit mistakes quickly.
- A self-starter who identifies opportunities and potential problems – addressing them effectively and efficiently.
- Professional, flexible, and able to succeed in a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong organizational, time management skills.
- Able to communicate in a clear, consistent, and transparent manner.
- Passionate and enthusiastic about excellence and attention to detail.
- Seeks out opportunities for self-development and continuing education.
- Develops and maintains open honest and trusting relationships.
- Goes above and beyond prescribed duties as and when required.
- Fluent in English.
- A willingness to travel overseas.
This job description is subject to change.
Please note: In proceeding you will be redirected to the careers site of Accenture in order to complete your application. Accenture has extended its digital offerings to encompass Fjord’s service design expertise. The opportunities this offers in terms of project scope and career development simply makes for an even more exciting and rewarding place to work!